Union home ministry turns over the Udaipur murder investigation to NIA


The Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) on Wednesday ordered the agency to take over the case, a day after sending a team from the NIA to Udaipur in Rajasthan to investigate whether the murder of tailor Kanhaiya Lal Teli had any potential terrorist connections.

The National Probe Agency (NIA) has been instructed by the MHA to take over the investigation into the gruesome murder of Shri Kanhaiya Lal Teli that occurred yesterday in Udaipur, Rajasthan. The involvement of any organisation and any connections to other countries would be carefully looked into, the office of Union Home Minister Amit Shah tweeted.

In Premium |Udaipur tailor killed: victim requested police protection and mentioned threats following his arrest and release
According to sources, the Rajasthan Police charged the case late on Tuesday under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA) since the accused had also made threats to murder Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

According to sources, even though the local police have not yet included terrorist-related charges in the FIR, it is likely that the suspects, who have already been detained by Rajasthan police, would be charged with terrorism.

“Their phones are being subjected to cyberforensic examination. They are being investigated to see if they belong to any internet organisations that inspire individuals to launch assaults beyond religious boundaries. A senior police officer stated that it was being investigated to see if they belonged to some sort of self-styled Islamic State organisation.

Tuesday in Udaipur, two men fatally hacked Kanhaiya Lal Teli inside his store. They then posted a video of the crime online, claiming it was in reprisal for the victim posting comments made by Nupur Sharma of the BJP about the Prophet.

In a different video, the attackers introduced themselves as Mohammad Riyaz and Ghouse Mohammad, boasted about the “beheading,” and threatened PM Modi and Nupur Sharma with death. Both Riyaz and Mohammad, citizens of Udaipur, were detained in the Rajsamand district of the state in Bhim.

A team from the NIA was dispatched to Udaipur by the MHA to “investigate” whether there was a “terror angle” after the incident sparked demonstrations and burning in the city and raised security worries in other states like Maharashtra.

Kanhaiya Lal Teli, according to the police, had earlier asserted that his kid had “mistakenly” made a “objectionable statement” on Facebook while engaging in game play on his phone. Additionally, he asserted that he was unaware of the post until he was questioned by several locals.

Additional 600 police officers, including Additional ADGs Janga Sriniwas and M N Dinesh, together with 30 Rajasthan Police Service officers, were being dispatched to the scene, according to Rajasthan’s ADG for Law and Order, Hawa Singh Ghumaria.

According to state officials, a SIT of high officers, including ADG (ATS, SOG) Ashok Rathore and IG (ATS) Prafulla Kumar, an SP, and an Additional SP, has also been formed to investigate the event. Authorities also issued prohibitory orders in Rajasthan for a month following the death of Kanhaiya Lal Teli and shut down internet access for the entire state for one day.